Home Forums GC Archives Existing Trinity Central content

This topic contains 40 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Dupree Jones 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

mdabbs

I’ve finished the importing scripts. It seems to work well. I’ve got approximately 200 posts from the ‘How can I do this’ forum up there now.

The problem with the old forum is that there is a licensing fee. I can’t run the code here and the trinitycentral.com domain is/will be pointing to us so I can’t just link back to it.

Now that we have the import script complete, it should be much easier to start bringing in old threads. I really appreciate everyone’s patience so far. Its taking a lot longer than anticipated.

mdabbs

BTW, I do realize that the search function is not working on any of the old content. I’m looking into how to rebuild the search index and there’s no built-in method for doing this. I’m having to find an alternative method so it will take some time until its searchable.

harry

mdabbs
    Site Admin
    Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject:
    ————————————————————————
    I’ve finished the importing scripts. It seems to work well. I’ve got approximately 200 posts from the ‘How can I do this’ forum up there now.

The problem with the old forum is that there is a licensing fee. I can’t run the code here and the trinitycentral.com domain is/will be pointing to us so I can’t just link back to it.

Now that we have the import script complete, it should be much easier to start bringing in old threads. I really appreciate everyone’s patience so far. Its taking a lot longer than anticipated.Back to top

mdabbs
    Site Admin
    Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject:
    ————————————————————————
    BTW, I do realize that the search function is not working on any of the old content. I’m looking into how to rebuild the search index and there’s no built-in method for doing this. I’m having to find an alternative method so it will take some time until its searchable.Back to top

There are your last two posts from a simple Copy/Paste function. 🙄
    Please forgive my confusion, but if you can access the TC material, why can’t you just copy it? What’s this “licensing fee” when GS owns the site? Does GS own the posts???

Jim W

Thanks for the Archives, Mike. Brings back a lot of memories, good and bad!

petes

Please forgive my confusion, but if you can access the TC material, why can’t you just copy it? What’s this “licensing fee” when GS owns the site? Does GS own the posts???

The “typing in” was in reference to reformatting posts to include names-as opposed to how the first ones imported. And the licensing relates to the BBS software, not the site/content.

Mike, the new imported info looks great! Keep going…

mdabbs

Harry, do you want to copy/paste about 1200 more? 😉 And, from a psuedo text-based file, not formatted HTML? It was literally copying/pasting by hand and I have better things I can be doing than spending hours on that. Now that I have the import script completed, it is a moot issue. The search index will also be rebuilt early next week.

As far as licensing fees go, we bought the domain and the content. We likely bought a licensing fee for the actual forum, I don’t know for sure on that. Besides, the license to the forum code may not even be transferrable. I can buy your documents but I can’t necessarily buy your copy of Word that you used to produce them. Also, I made the decision to not run that software and switch to a more efficient forum. The lesser of two evils was to do all of the switching at one time rather than potentially throw the forum into confusion more than once.

Ted

Thanks Mike for all your efforts.
    Tell the GlobalStreams gang thanks for making this a priority, maybe not high, but not forgotten either.

Personally I don’t usually have time to go through the old stuff, but with all the new people getting into Trinity/Globecaster, there is a lot of helpful information in there they can use.

Steve,

Pardon me, but when did you get kicked off tc? when did anyone other than that george guy from Miami. I’m confused.

So you’re confused, we all knew that.

Dupree Jones

Oh George…….
    Not the livestock.

Steve…time for you to MOOOOOve on over and make room for all the other barn yard animals. 😉

Dupree Jones

Trust me G, movin’ on is what it’s all about with me. Check out my equipment for sale over on Jim C’s place.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay Up to Date on News and Upgrades

Whether one of the first or one of the newest in the GlobeCaster family, we will drop you a line from time to time.