Home Forums How can I do this? firewire question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mdabbs 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

aidonor

Sorry if this was asked and answered already but I want to find out some info on the firewire card capabilities. Normal firewire allows control and A/V signals to pass through. Will GS be supporting deck control (and camera control) through the firewire card? We have 1 DSR-1500 and have 3 more on order so each bay has one. I am looking into the costs of adding the firewire interface to those decks to connect to our 4 soon to be Globecasters. Basically will any other functions aside from just A/V in/out be supported? Also, since all I/O ports on the GC are the same basically, Can a single firewire card be used two way? I figure if it is placed downstream of the output encoder the way input 8 analog card is that it should be able to perform both input and output functions with one card. This ability would increase our chances of adding them to our systems.
    Mike, if this is not the best area for this post feel free to move it to a better area 🙂

mdabbs

The DVIO card will support deck control. There’s a button in the interface now labelled Ports 1-4 that let you select which bank of ports to work with. That button now has four more options for Slots 1-4, Slots 5-8, etc. This will give you access to deck control on a slot basis.

I don’t have a list of true compatible equipment yet so I’m hesitant to say that you’ll have no trouble with it. Standards being what they are, you shouldn’t have any trouble with it.

The DVIO card itself is the first of its kind to do either input or output, regardless of which slot its installed in. It cannot do both simultaneously and you can only connect one device to it. There’s a button on the properties panel which says whether its an input or output, and it can be switched on-the-fly without resetting the GC or the software.

I should be able to post more info after its release.

aidonor

This is a beautiful thing. For pruduction house people they can firewire without a deck and for us we can firewire our decks. Wil the in AND out work regardless of the slot you put it in or does it have to be downstream of the output encoder for carrying an output signal?

mdabbs

Well, a little-known fact is that all input and output cards work in any I/O slot. The only limitation is that only 1 input can be in slot 9-12, due to only one input path back to the video router, but outputs can go anywhere. You’ll probably want it in one of the higher numbered slots due to the 14-pin ribbon cable that will have to run over to the audio router board which is adjacent to the Coordinator.

aidonor

Cool.
    I remember being told about the I/O slot thingy when we got our first 3 Trinity units 3 years ago. I think it might have been Pratt in the Hat who told me. Was he still at Play then? I know I found a note with his name next to a number that had “Play Tech Support” above it. hehe I have a lot of old notes and email with past Play tech names on them. I’m just glad Mike and Don are around here and talking with us like this. They’ve both been a world of help to me and I am sure to others too. You guys going to be at the Houston ACM conference & trade show? I know GS has a booth there this year. I didn’t know if they let you guys out of the shop for those things or if they havespecific “show techs”. Anyway, I’ll see whoever goes out in July 🙂 Hopefully there will be a demo of the DVIO card there. I don’t think I can get any this year but if it performs as advertised, I want about 4 of them next year for our DVCAM decks we are getting this year.

mdabbs

I missed one little item that R&D quickly corrected me on regarding output cards in slots 1-7. An output card in slot 1-7 can not be used as an alpha output if you’re using the system as an upstream keyer or CG.

Dan and I don’t get to go to too many shows. (read: none). Dan and I are post-sales techs and we have other pre-sales techs that do the shows as well as help on tech support when they’re in town.

I don’t know what will be at the show but I’m assuming the DVIO card will become a mainstay in many of our demos. Its got great video quality and is fairly portable, especially with the Sony handycams that we use for OnQ demos.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay Up to Date on News and Upgrades

Whether one of the first or one of the newest in the GlobeCaster family, we will drop you a line from time to time.