Home Forums How can I do this? How to split Clipmem Overlays

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RomainR 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

DonMaynard

I’d be interested in hearing of favorite ways to break up clipmem overlays to stay within the 5 second memory limitation in Anim Comp. I’m using Digital Juice & this isn’t a problem using a straight-forward animation, but does become problematic when attempting to break up a modified animation (colorized, re-sized, etc.).

Also, has anyone successfully copied & pasted stroke properties in Anim Comp? I’ve tried every way I can come up with based on the instructions in the manual (I know, that’s my problem: Reading the manual) and have so far been unsuccessful. 🙁 Anyone?

Thanks.

don.

RomainR

I used to put the clipmems on a preditor timeline and spilt them into 5 second chunks by placing the posbar and hitting CTRL+S. Then I perform them to tape one chunck at a time. But I’m glad I have a TimeMachine in my Globecaster. It’s a thing of the past now.

Aaaah memories.

Have A Great Day.

DonMaynard

I used to put the clipmems on a preditor timeline and spilt them into 5 second chunks by placing the posbar and hitting CTRL+S. Then I perform them to tape one chunck at a time. But I’m glad I have a TimeMachine in my Globecaster. It’s a thing of the past now.

Aaaah memories.

Have A Great Day.

Romain, thanks for the reply, but I think you misunderstand…

Unless I’m missing something, how can you get Time Machine to key an overlay (with alpha channel)?

I think saving as an overlay is the only way it will key, but I don’t think you can split a key track in Editor with Split at Position (at least I haven’t been able to get it to do it 🙁 )

DonMaynard

And you probably misunderstood because I wasn’t all that clear about the alpha channel! 🙂

Sorry.

mdabbs

To my knowledge, which is limited :(, you can only render clipmems with an alpha from within Anim/Comp. You can create a clipmem from Editor but it will be full frame, no alpha. If you’re creating the clipmem in Anim/Comp, can you break up that project into short segments and keep them all under 5 seconds?

DonMaynard

As far as I know you are correct…overlay clip mems only in Anim/Comp.

But here’e my problem due to the 5 second limitation:

Say we’ve got a 20 second animation w/ alpha. That’s 600 frames. The only way I know to break the anim into 5 second bites is to select a specific range of 150 frames andrender it out as a 5 second clip. (Apparently you can’t split a track in Anim/Comp, at least I haven’ t figured out how to).

That works as long as you haven’t modified the anim in any way, because as soon as I load the next 150 (151-300) frames, they will be the original unmodified frames. I don’t believe Anim/Comp has the ability to save the work as sequential files (Note to Developers: Please add this capabilty). If I save it out as an overlay (all 20 seconds) I have no way to break it into 5 second bites.

I sure hope I’ve missed something, ’cause I’d like it to work…

mdabbs

A somewhat long way around would be to render it as an AVI. Then, using something like VirtualDub (www.virtualdub.org), split it up into 4 separate AVI files and import each one back into Anim/Comp and render them each individually.

DonMaynard

Unfortunately, the alpha isn’ t preserved going to AVI.

mdabbs

Can you set a unique background color and key that out when you reimport each individual AVI?

DonMaynard

I don’t see how. The alpha is pretty embedded into the graphic and not completely on or off, i.e. there’s a lot of subtle half-transparency, etc.

I’m getting to the conclusion that After Effects will probably be the route to go.

RomainR

Hey Don,

So what you are trying to do is to have X number of 5 second clipmem overlays for your timeline with alpha active.

Here is what I suggest. Save them as overlays only it will make your life easier. As far as splitting up into 5 second bits here is how it goes.

5 second at 30 fps is 150 frames. So first clip will be as such.
    Go to the workspace panel and change the time to 5 sec.
    place the first pic on the workspace and then go to the properties and then texture and then rgiht click and choose file sequence as you already know and then right click again and choose 30. If you have seperate file for the alpha the drag and drop the first image of the alpha sequence over the aplha box of the texure of the properties panel and right click and choose file sequence then re regiht click and choose 30.
    You should be all set for that render it and now for the next five do the exact same as the first 5sec with the exception that you are going to place the frame 151 to start off your next batch of 5sec.
    Then for the next batch you want to place the frame 301 to start and so on.

I hope this will help saprk a solution for you.

Have A Great Dau.

Romain

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay Up to Date on News and Upgrades

Whether one of the first or one of the newest in the GlobeCaster family, we will drop you a line from time to time.