Home Forums How can I do this? Archives Quicktime to AVI

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jcurtis 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jcurtis

Here’s an interesting thought for those of you who like to create your graphics on a mac and then bring them into the trinity.

I was musing about the idea of finding a QT to AVI converter so that I can create animations in After Effects, Premiere, etc because I know those programs so well. Lo and Behold, on ZDNET’s MAC DOWNLOAD site I was able to locate a program: Microsoft Video for Windows. (if you can’t find it, I’ll email it to you)

I have yet to really spec it out and make sure that all my ducks are in a row, but you can convert QT to AVI in tons of different settings (depending on the extensions you have loaded), in different frame rates and quality settings (cinepak, avid codec, indeo).

For those of you who do all of your graphics work on a Windows based computer *I feel for you* this won’t mean much, but to us Mac-ites, it’ll save some steps.

I should have more information on it tomorrow, when I can really put it to use.

-J.

****What company performs more than 300+ shows a year and never picks up a microphone? Find out at: http://www.dovecomm.net ****

jcurtis

Okay, the program I just wrote about works great and will do importing of just about any quicktime format to AVI.

The next step, for those of you who can help is to find out how I can import ALPHA frames as an AVI to PANIMAITION.

BY THE WAY, does anyone know how to turn a color in an AVI to a keyable area. For instance, if you have a white background, can you make that the transparent area?

I’ve got a couple theories and am trying them today, but any suggestions are helpful.

-J.

P.S. – did anyone actually read this?

**** What entertainment company performs 300+ concerts a year and never picks up a microphone? find out: http://www.dovecomm.net ****

Jim W

Yes, I am following closely. I am also checking into Debabelizer 4.5 on Windows to do translation. The Mac Version 3.02 won’t do an export to AVI but apparently the the Windows version will translate Quicktime 3.0 to AVI. Regarding alphas, I haven’t gotten that far yet. Frankly, I wish that Play would make Quicktime 3.0 (soon 4.0) available as an import/export format. (See my post in Improvements section). Quicktime is much more robust than AVI and would greatly help the people who also use Macs, a very large number here in Hawaiiat least. Quicktime has also been downloaded from by 24 million Windows users. Let us know what you find out. Thanks

——————

jcurtis

Okay, so we know that the Video for Windows program I downloaded off ZDNET’s Mac Download forum does the trick. Albiet, converting quicktime pieces become large when processed as an AVI (one 2.3MB clip turned into 9MB).

I should have a tutorial soon on how to incorportate keyable AVIs into Panimation. It’ll follow the steps on creating your own film scratch loop as a DSK.

-J.

jcurtis

Here’s the final saga of Video for Windows, hopefully the Trinity one day will support Quicktime. Most of this only involves those people converting quicktime clips from a Macintosh to Video for Windows for use in Panamation.

When creating on a Mac, the output compression codec from Premiere/After Effects/or any 3D program needs to be either VIDEO or NONE (preferrably NONE).

Panamation will take clips as 8, 16 or 24bit compressed or uncompressed but only if they were converted from a clip that was originally compressed using the MAC codecs above.

That’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it.

-J.

——————
    j.curtis@dovecomm.net
    Dove Communications
    http://WWW.DOVECOMM.NET

[This message has been edited by jcurtis (edited 03-04-99).]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay Up to Date on News and Upgrades

Whether one of the first or one of the newest in the GlobeCaster family, we will drop you a line from time to time.