Home Forums General Discussion Suggestions for 2.9

This topic contains 29 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Pratt 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

fgolman

I’m going to be upgrading th GC in the near future … but I’d like to put in a suggestion for two features that would really improve the product.

1) This actually was in earlier versions of Preditor … cut, copy and paste.

2) Chromakey in preditor (let’s put that great keyer to work!).

Thoughts on additional features, anyone? Perhaps we can get these into production on 2.9, 3.x, etc …

Fritz Golman

Mrstoney

I would like to add a counter on the switcher interface when you are playing back a clip. We use TM as a video server for live sports events and you can’t tell how far you are into a clip while it is playing. That’s where a counter would be nice.
    Unless I’m wrong, some keyboard shortcuts to be able to zoom in and out of the timeline in the editor would be nice
    That’s all for now.

fgolman

Another thought I had was some basic playback controls on a clip loaded in Air Command … that is, since you can have a timeline open and running, how about being able to start and stop it with the usual VTR type contols? Right now, it seems, all you can have is a clip loaded in a TM button and when it’s cut to, it will play all the way through. In fact, you can’t even restart it (unless you use the loop button).

MMIevents

I would second Mrstony’s request for a clip playback timer on the switcher interface. I use TM for live event playback of clips as well, and now must rely on remembering what the visual “out” is to call and execute a switch back to live camera. In a tight show with many clips it tends to get a bit hairy! The best solution for me has been to create a timeline for the clip and end it with a “live input 1” picon (camera 1 being input 1.) This works great and you get the professional transition your looking for except you have to put your camera op on “standby” for a long time and neither of you know exactly when the “take” will occur until it’s on the screen! Not the best of all worlds. Can we hope? 😆

amlvideo

I and many others have suggested this one, the ability to view each video track as it is plays. Example; bring up the 4 monitors in preditor and then select a video track for each monitor to view. This feature will be in the new DPS VelocityQ. It will display 4 video tracks. -Mike

Mike Haskell

fix all existing problems would be great. no more workaround….

Ted

Uncomressed capability. Then Flattening the timeline would be a perfect solution.

I’ll still take it as is though. I ran out of room on a timeline today just on a 60 second spot.

baofang

In Switcher, it’s better if the audio can follow the video when perform a switching.

Additional features we would like to see in future updates
    1) Uncompressed time machine
    2) 16:9 support
    3) Control of audio tracks 3 & 4 from Preditor
    4) Ability to turn pre-read on from Preditor.
    5) More Video layers (even one more would help)
    6) Audio tracks separate to video tracks for effects ect.
    7) Ability to import EDLs other than CMX (eg Avid, Sony ect)
    8) Faster Timemachine Backup
    9) Colour Correction made to work properly
    10) No more Genlock errors (only a problem with PAL units)
    11) Additional sets of Tinemachine drives, preferably removeable.
    12) Timeline should load effects and DSK’s as it plays instead of loading the whole lot beforehand.

MMIevents

Those of us that use the gear for live events need to shade cameras continually to follow presenters/entertainment. This requires that the WF/V scope be “on” all the time monitoring the preview buss. Presently, the scope’s screen position causes us to sacrifice the preview monitor in Switcher, requiring an outboarded monitor for previewing. Any chance of moving it to recover the preview monitor?

Jvarney

My (so far) wishlist:

1) Cut, copy and paste
    2) ability to properly import .mov files (perhaps only problems with newer versions of quicktime)
    3) audio fix when digitizing and batch digitizing (the settings wont stick to what I chose, they revert to default every time)
    4) audio in animator/compositor and perhaps effects generator in order to be able to match animations to music. this might require a playback option that shows choppy video, but plays in realtime with audio.
    5) link audio to DSK’s
    6) VTR controls on timeline in switcher
    7) ability to have time machine contents be a default bin when program starts up
    8) Audio fade in/out when the fade to black key is hit
    9) Have the fade to black actually effect the time machine.
    10) Keyboard shortcuts for other things, such as fade to black. Or option to be able to map our keyboard to do various things.
    11) preview window/monitor does not match the picture when it goes to program (appears that the input settngs are only applied to the program output, but not preview as well)
    12) TC burn-in option (super)
    13) ability to improt and export timecode (time machine clips)
    14) export audio and video, not just audio like now.

Mike Haskell

10) Keyboard shortcuts for other things, such as fade to black. Or option to be able to map our keyboard to do various things.

In the manual at http://www.globalstreams.com/support/downloads/manuals/ there are shortcut keys including fade to black.

As an uncompressed Timemachine is probably not very likely to happen, a good compromise would be an autoconform to tape facility where all those blotchy, compressed looking Timemachine clips are automatically replaced with the original tape clips.

petes

As an uncompressed Timemachine is probably not very likely to happen, a good compromise would be an autoconform to tape facility where all those blotchy, compressed looking Timemachine clips are automatically replaced with the original tape clips.

I may be totaly misunderstanding you, but if you are having bad looking TM clips, check the compression level. I must be set very high… which is fie if you have ton of footage to work with because you can then rediditize only the needed parts at a higher quality level.

Also if you delete a clip from TM and then select it on the time line, it will revert back to being a off tape clip.

Perhaps the effects of the compression scheme are less noticeable on NTSC systems than they are on PAL. Our experience is that on the least compressed setting, compression artifacts are quite pronounced on saturated reds and blues even on relatively uncompressed sources such as Digi Beta. Even on an uncompressed source such as D1, artifacts are still visible. However if the source is more heavily compressed such as Beta SX or DVCPRO, the effect is really quite unacceptable.
    As to deleting the TM clip, yes you can do that but it would be nice to be able to perform the operation automatically rather than having manually delete clips from the TM.
    It would be interesting to hear the views of other PAL users.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay Up to Date on News and Upgrades

Whether one of the first or one of the newest in the GlobeCaster family, we will drop you a line from time to time.