Home Forums Troubleshooting Takes forever to start globecaster

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  drummen 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

drummen

Hello..
    First I want to say that GS has done the right thing with the site.

Ok… now to my question..

Every time I start my globecaster software it takes forever to load up… it just sits there with the splash screen up for about 10-15 min. then the program comes up and everything works fine!….

Thanks.

petes

Michael, Glad to see you here!

Sounds like a PC issue to me. What OS?, how much RAM?, is there plenty of HD space?

What has changed since it worked, i.e. S/W installs. What SP are you using, and has it been re-applied since any S/W installs?

Once it finally loads, does it run normally, or slow/other issues?

Richard

That kind of delay would inidicate a timeout of some device. Usually timeouts are shorter than that, but networking and SCSI chain timeouts can pile up and cause a longer delay. Have you linked your desktop to a shared folder, perhaps? Or have you removed termination or device from SCSI chain?
    Disk fragementation can cause long delays too when it is combined with a bad track on disk! It could be that some part of software is on a track which has to be read many times to pass error correction?

drummen

I am running win 2K.. and I do not recall anything else about the machine… I guess I was hopeing that this was a known issue and there was a quick fix… there wishing for ya! 🙂

I will probly give that PC a clean up and update everything.. I have had this problem for a long time.. and on other PC’s… But I will get this one running at its peak and then come back! 🙂

Thanks for the help!

petes

I can tell you this, W2K should run like a dream. You need to make sure SP2 is installed on it though. You also might look at the video card as comapared with the GS specs for it. You also might try a UNRI on the GS software and then reinstall the SP2 after that. If it were mine and I couldn’t find anything specific that helped, I would do a complete rebuild on the PC just in case. By the way, which software version are you on?

Good luck!

mdabbs

Another thing to try would be to pop the lid off the GC and watch the red LEDs on each card. You might see at which card it was stalling. The only delays I know of when starting the GC/Trinity software is when the Time Machine does not see all 3 of its drives. This can cause delays of up to 5 minutes. They system will appear to go on but you won’t have any Time Machine capabilities. (e.g. The Time Machine volume won’t be available to browse)

Of course, this assumes the delay is only when starting any GC software. Not when botting Windows in general.

Ryno1957
    When this happened to me, I had a bad HD and it had to be replaced. It is taking so long to load because it is trying to find your hard drive in the Trinity.

drummen

When this happened to me, I had a bad HD and it had to be replaced. It is taking so long to load because it is trying to find your hard drive in the Trinity.

Do you mean in the trinity? or in the PC?

Mrstoney

That sounds familiar. I have had two harddrives go bad on two different systems. TM harddrives. Each time, it took forever to get them to boot up. Use the Trinity HD format utility to check your TM drives.

drummen

Well I had gone through and re-seated all the cards.. did not work… but then I re seated the TM drive cables at the TM card.. works like a charm!!!

Scary to read about so many bad hard drives causing such a problem. So which hard drives are causing the problem so that I don’t buy them?

Maybe a poll needs to be started.

drummen

Well ok… so it stopped working again…

Really strange.. because now it shows the first frame of video per clip.. then just goes black.. its never done that before.

anyway…. I am going to replace the cables and terminators.

drummen

Ok.. found the problem again…

this time it was 3 zero byte clips on the TM..

from now on, that will be the FIRST think I check when ANYTHING goes wrong with the TM!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay Up to Date on News and Upgrades

Whether one of the first or one of the newest in the GlobeCaster family, we will drop you a line from time to time.