Home Forums Troubleshooting Trinity Audio Video Delay

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  petes 2 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

bockos

I just noticed this yesterday. We do not use the Trinity for dubs on a daily basis. After using the Trinity to dub a show for air yesterday, I noticed the audio was out of sync with the video. We do not use the audio board in the Trinity we use a Mackie mixer.

How many frames is the video delayed when passing through the Trinity??? Have others experienced this delay? Can you use advanced reference to defeat this, or do I have to loop our master audio through the Trinity to sync the audio and video? I think this delay became more event because this show had been passed through the Trinity twice. Once for a live to tape recording of the show. Then after I had posted the show with FX, thirds and credits to add setup to DVCAM for air. We usually use our Fast VM for the setup process, but it was in use and I had to get the show on the air. Words of wisdom???

Thanks in advance.

Shawn Bockoven
    KMET/METV Station Manager/Engineer
    Kids Merced Educational Television

😕

petes

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the video delay is one frame. If you loop it through the audio module it will be fine. (For anyone w/o an audio module, just put a 33ms delay line in your audio path.) I don’t think advanced reference will do it.

Thomas

Yup! Gotta delay your audio or run it through the Trinity audio module. I believe the delay is about 1 frame

mdabbs

Yes, the spec on the Trinity/GC is that there is a 1 frame delay in the video, but the audio module will delay the stream to compensate and keep the audio and video in sync. Now, with the frame-syncing comp&Y/C inputs, I believe the delay can extend beyond the 1 frame. The input card is buffering each frame until the GC is ready for it so in theory, this could be almost up to another frame when this card is in use. This would only be the case when non-genlocked equipment is being used. If thesource is genlocked, then the frame buffering can be bypassed.

bockos

Will GS honor the trade for the working audio module?

Shawn Bockoven
    KMET/METV Station Manager/Engineer

mdabbs

The audio module swap is still available for users who purchase the hardware upgrade.

bockos

That a good one!!!! ROFLMAO!!! Spend $5,000 to get a $2,495.00 list part. Ahhhh master, you work for one honorable company.

sku NTSC 525/PAL 625 Automated Audio Mixer XLR – Balanced $2,495

Ted

At least then you’ll get the warranty and other benefits.
    Now bring on the software upgrades!

aidonor

The question wasn’t on a cost but on if Globalstreams was running a trade in program like Play had. They don’t know if you have already done an upgrade or not. For some the added replacement of the audio module (half the cost of an upgrade) may be enough to make the upgrade worth the cost versus just buying the module. If I needed audio modules swapped out it would make the upgrade more attractive as a package. That way I get my 2.5k module along with the rest. This makes the upgrade only cost about 2.5k retail which, if you pay MSRP for it, you need a new dealer. If you have no desire for any of the upgrade but just want your module replaced then go for the module itself. I’m sure GS will agree with that even though they would prefer you upgrade to the current platform.

petes

That a good one!!!! ROFLMAO!!! Spend $5,000 to get a $2,495.00 list part. Ahhhh master, you work for one honorable company.

sku NTSC 525/PAL 625 Automated Audio Mixer XLR – Balanced $2,495

Shawn,

Let’s put the blame where it belongs! What’s the matter with your dealer??? The GP free upgrade was offered a loooooong time ago, was discussed in detail on TC, and dealers notified users (sounds like yours didn’t). As far as I’m concerned it was a done deal long before GS even entered the picture. Having it covered in the upgrade is a gift, if you aren’t interested, I suggest you look around on E-bay for a module. I saw several sell there a while back. Check with Pratt he bought some…

bockos

I could build the darn delay for a few $$$ or run it through a frame sync. Just how foolish would it be to spend $5,000.00 when I can do it for less than $100.00, or use existing equipment. Get off the horse Petes and let us work in the real world where you do not spend $5,000.00 to save $100.00.

As I told the TWO different Global Streams sales people who called me in the last week, “When and or if there is something for us to upgrade, we will consider the cost and benefit. But, it had better cost less and give us a hell of a lot more.” We are out of warranty I can handle that. Just wondered if the parent company would honor the trade.

Am I really going to spend $5,000.00 to fix an ISSUE I have only had once in four years??? No!!! We already have the host PC’s for our Trinity systems. These same PC’s can be used with another solution from Texas I believe. Before I spend $5,000.00 on an audio module, I will purchase another new solution that can do the same thing the Trinity does for us, for a few hundred more.

Mdabbs, you asked for feedback, well…here it is. I am not attempting to be hostile, just realistic about a solution to a problem. Another webboard member predicted just this conversation.

Ted, at the least I would get a new product for $5,000.00. The same product you use for $5,000.00, with a new warranty and new hardware. IF I WOULD HAVE ROLLED THE DICE OVER A YEAR AGO AND UPGRADED THREE SYSTEMS, I BELIEVE I WOULD ONCE AGAIN BE OUT OF LUCK. I would have gained nothing and lost a lot of new equipment we purchased instead. One of the other Trinity systems does have the new audio module. I will just swap them and save $5,000.00 or $15,000 for three systems.

Petes, these are the headaches adopted by the company that bought the Play technology. Their choice and let’s get real about who is still with this company.

We love our Trinity systems as SEG’s /switchers and wish the new parent company would be more supportive and realistic about the future of Globecaster/Trinity. Another customer, off to another solution, when the time comes. I am not going to pretend things are all rosy.

petes

Shawn, no offense meant or taken, but I just disagree with you on why you are sitting there with a GP audio module. I didn’t tell you to spend any money, nor was I telling you to upgrade the Trinity to fix your problem. My first response to your question, baring having a module to use, was to drop a (cheap) delay in-line and have a nice day. (Actually I thought the GP audio module had the delay in it also-maybe I’m wrong about that.)

viewaskew

Let’s put the blame where it belongs! What’s the matter with your dealer??? The GP free upgrade was offered a loooooong time ago, was discussed in detail on TC, and dealers notified users (sounds like yours didn’t). As far as I’m concerned it was a done deal long before GS even entered the picture. Having it covered in the upgrade is a gift, if you aren’t intereste

Pete,

Getting an audio replacement board was not an easy thing to make happen. There are perhaps several people that never received a board.

If you owned an unbalanced board , I doubt anyone got a replacement for those. Don’t know if Shawn’s are unbalanced, but it is and still is my knowledge that Play NEVER had an unbalanced replacement board for the Graham Patten.

If you could check the past posts of TC you might find some very interesting posts concerning the Audio board replacement program. Who got them, who didn’t and what it took for some owners to get them.

Remember Brad Parscale. Do a search for that.

OOOOOps you can’t.

[/quote]

petes

If that’s the case here I apologize. I know that Play did produce a non-GP unbalanced module at some point though because I installed one in a system a while back.

And yeah, Brad and I crossed paths… 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay Up to Date on News and Upgrades

Whether one of the first or one of the newest in the GlobeCaster family, we will drop you a line from time to time.