Home Forums How can I do this? Upgrade Help Upgrade History

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  mdabbs 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

cptv

We are going to be making some major upgrade decisions in the next quarter. I know you have greatly improved what you inherited, but I really need some documentation in this area. I was going to send you a private post, but I think GlobalStreams and all the users will benefit from the information presented in a consise manner on the forum.

I believe the latest version is 2.8 (?). Would you please take us on a step-by-step journey of your upgrades? If no upgrade was made on any feature (switcher, editor, CG, etc.) of the box, please put “n/a” or “no upgrade”.

I know it’ll be a little work, but I’ve tried to make it as easy as possible (Just copy the following, fill in the blanks, and paste it.). We started with the Triinty 2.4.

UPGRADE HISTORY:
    GlobeCaster 2.4:
    Switcher (Air Command) –
    Editor (Preditor) –
    CG (Titlewave) –
    Animation (Panimation) –
    PFX (Personal Effects) –

Upgrade 2.5:
    Switcher (Air Command) –
    Editor (Preditor) –
    CG (Titlewave) –
    Animation (Panimation) –
    PFX (Personal Effects) –

Upgrade 2.6:
    Switcher (Air Command) –
    Editor (Preditor) –
    CG (Titlewave) –
    Animation (Panimation) –
    PFX (Personal Effects) –

Upgrade 2.7:
    Switcher (Air Command) –
    Editor (Preditor) –
    CG (Titlewave) –
    Animation (Panimation) –
    PFX (Personal Effects) –

Upgrade 2.8:
    Switcher (Air Command) –
    Editor (Preditor) –
    CG (Titlewave) –
    Animation (Panimation) –
    PFX (Personal Effects) –

What should we look for in the next upgrade?
    Upgrade 2.9:
    Switcher (Air Command) –
    Editor (Preditor) –
    CG (Titlewave) –
    Animation (Panimation) –
    PFX (Personal Effects) –

I really appreciate you filling in the blanks. It’s kind of like a “yearly report of accomplishments” (You probably had something like that you could access anyway.). Hope this helps the users, too – especially the new ones.

Just one more question:
    Are there any major hardware changes planned to support future software upgrades?

Thank you!

Ted

The latest build is 2.8.2. It’s been working for most people, but a few of us are having some problems with the Back-up Utility and old Time Machine files. I’m staying with 2.8 until I can find a solution.

Some of the latest improvements are as follows:
    Following are a list of enhancements included with this update:
    Firmware updates – Increased stability and features within the GlobeCaster

Property files – More appropriately named presets

Delete unwanted live clip – Delete the currently recorded Time Machine clip when the user does not wish to save it

Source popup menu – More detailed popup menu including deck and tape name

Audio Mixer – Pan data is now saved and restored

Dual monitor support – GC Software now uses native Windows 2000/XP dual monitor support

Framestore size options – Added ability to resize a grabbed still

Character Generator – Some graphics are now embedded into the project, rather than linked externally to a filename

AVI Export – The correct frame rate base is used for NTSC exports: 29.97

Frame-sync cards – Custom profiles are now restored properly

Time Machine Backup – Starting and length time codes are now displayed correctly

Time Machine clip theme names – A theme name can now be prepended to Time Machine clip names to help organize the Time Machine clips better

Hot-keys – New hot-keys for deck control

Various other minor bug fixes

For more info go here:
    http://www.globalstreams.com/support/globecaster/downloads/2.8.2_release.php

Can we look forward to a GS response to this question?

cptv

Thank you, Ted, for the information. Thank you, Broadcast Services, for quickly noting the real motive of my post. You will understand why I have waited one whole week to respond when you read the following true story:

———–

My wife had an uncle who was a farmer in Indiana. Every year, he would go to the local Ford dealership to purchase a new vehicle. He liked Fords, preferred them because he knew how to work on them, and had known Henry Ford personally. He was also a good friend of the owner of the dealership – they were members of the same church in the small town.

One Saturday, he paid his annual visit to the dealership in his overalls. The owner wasn’t there at the time, and the dealership had a new crop of salesmen who didn’t know him. They were in the back playing cards, and not one of them bothered to assist him because of the way he was dressed. They figured he was just some poor farmer that was window shopping. They didn’t know his overalls were loaded with cash – ready to make a purchase. After all, he had too much work waiting for him back at the farm to just come there and look at cars.

After three hours of no help, he left just as the owner was coming in. At first, the owner was glad to see him – but, then he was told the story:

“I’ve waited three hours to buy a car from one of your salesmen. Apparently, their card game is more important, so, this year, I’m going across the street, and buy a Chevrolet. MAYBE, I’ll come back next year.”

The owner went straight to the back, and turned over the card table. He told them who the “poor farmer” was and how much money he had.

Every salesman in that Ford dealership got fired that Saturday.

————

Dear Mr. Briscoe and GlobalStreams,

In my post, I told you we are making some major upgrade decisions, and I needed a detailed response so we could make an educated decision:

1.) Shall we enhance our investment, make the upgrade, get the switcher, replace our streaming equipment, and make the GlobecCaster the center of our facility?
    or
    2.) Shall we invest in another company for our “studio in a box”, and relegate the Trinity to be a add-on CG with some Q&D animation?

Your response would have helped you in many ways. The listing of your accomplishments would have serviced new and veteran users with concise information, and the quickness of your response would have inspired confidence in your company and “tipped the scales” in your favor.

It has been a week. Our company will be making the final decision Monday.
    I hope you will respond here before then as you are helping us decide where to put our money.

Or you can play cards. Your move.

Thanks.

cc:
    ComVentures
    Gateway Associates
    Highland Capital Partners

Mike Haskell

Seems we are about to see how different Globalstreams is compared to Play. I am on the verge of updating as well, and this could be a deciding factor.

fgolman

I’m not sure if you heard but Oakes Briscoe is no longer with Globalstreams. His responsibilities are being handled by Ed Stein.

Fritz Golman

amlvideo

CPTV,
    I also plan to upgrade soon and having been waiting to see what GS does. I have had my Trinity since the early days in 1998 and know the history very well. But.. realistically you can’t expect to hear from them during the holidays, I quit early yesterday and don’t expect to do any business til after the first, how could I ask that of them.
    Mike

petes

CPTV & others,

I’ll bet you have seen this, but in case you haven’t: Click here. I gives a complete listing of the major changes to each update (I wouldn’t expect a complete listing of every minor bug fix, spelling correction, etc.)

CPTV, you said next quarter… now it’s 12/23?… and you only started researching this on the 14th? This board is about tech support (including upgrades of course). If you need detailed product info that quickly and couldn’t find enough on the web site you should have called GS directly. You’re knockin’ on the wrong door here… I’m not sure how much staff is around next week, but I would still give a call directly on Monday and see if you can still get the info you need in time.

By the way, who are you with… where are you located?

mdabbs

Hi everyone, I’ve been on vacation all this week and will only be back in the office on Monday. Curiously, Ed Stein compiled a list of all of the changes we’ve made since 2.4. Most of it is cut-n-paste from the website but it is all compiled together in one document. I’ll try to track that down on Monday and post it.

We have been pretty short staffed for the month of December. We lost Dan Cooper, one of our main tech support guys. Also, with the release of the Control Surface and a few other items, plus regular maintainence software releases, we’ve all been pretty busy. Unfortunately, the forum is getting the short end of the stick, as they say. However, the user participation, which is why this forum really exists, has been great since going online. This was designed to be a place where users can communicate with each other as well as GS to get answers, tips, etc on their issues.

After the 1st, we hope to get back up to speed in support with some more help. Plus, once we knock out a few more R&D projects, we’ll be able to catch our collective breath and continue moving forward.

cptv

Well….I spend a lot of time writing this; then my computer crashes, so I spend some more time re-writing (and being on the phone with a client). So, what happens during that time? MDabbs sneaks in a post explaining everything, and everything is all right, now. Timing is everything, right?

Seriously, I’m glad you’re back and hoped you enjoyed your vacation. But, couldn’t SOMEBODY have dropped a line in here at least telling us you’d be in touch???

I’m gonna post it anyway because I’m answering Petes questions (and it took me too long to write it twice):

CPTV is a small consulting and production company in the Atlanta/N. Georgia area. We service small businesses (mostly schools and churches) with their equipment and post production needs. We are not a dealer.

Almost all of our clients are small to medium-sized churches that bought Trinitys from Play when it was a good deal. We also had a local company here with excellent tech support (We never had to call California.), but has since dropped the GlobalStreams product line. These churches have the money they didn’t have a couple of years ago, and they’re ready to invest in good editing systems. CPTV will match whatever they choose so we can all talk to each other.

So, we’re talking about more than one upgrade here (three to five).

The churches are monitoring this forum. They are looking to see how (at this point, IF) the company will answer their questions. They are mostly interested in the integrity of the people they do business with. They have to be responsible to their congregations because every company they deal with creates a valued relationship.

Petes, I’ve been trying tokeep up with the upgrades since we got our Trinity in 1998. The questions I posted were from my clients, and I appreciate your link to the details of the GC upgrades – I honestly didn’t know about it. I talked to most of them today about your post, and every one asked me, “Why couldn’t GlobalStreams itself just give you the link this past week?” I’m waiting until Monday for an answer from the company, but I believe my clients have already made up their minds. The silence grows louder every day,

We all enjoy the switching, CG and virtual set capability of the Trinity, but they agree that the future of editing is in a software-based system. Please notice the second question on my original post: “Are there any major hardware changes planned to support future software upgrades?” That question can only be answered by GlobalStreams.

Today is the seventh day – a day of rest. Whatever decision is made, we at CPTV wish all of you the most joyous of holidays, and we’ll bring in the new year with class!

Timing is everything…

petes

CPTV,

Sorry that question put you to so much work. I was just wondering if you were near us, and you’re not, wrong end of the country in fact.

I hope you do get in touch with those at GS who can answer your questions. Like Mike said, sometimes techs post in here a lot, sometimes not a lot. I can say this in their favor, when you contact techs directly, you get direct responses and help. But as to the future… that’s not so much a tech issue anyway. I have received the best information about that topic by asking dealers and GS reps directly. And as you said, it is something only they can speak to.

Jim Berel

CPTV,

You’re right about the future. Our station recently shelved our Trinity/GC in favor of a software based unit because there were far too many hardware and software related problems and we were left hanging completly in the wind with Globalstreams when our firewire card fried a couple other components when we went to upgrade. Our engineer said he called them several times and never got a response. With all the lost edit time in our secondary post room he decided we were better of not even trying to get it working again. When it worked, the hardware was great, but we still had software issues too because it had to be chaneled through the PC anyway so he said he was going to cut out the middleman and go with a software based system. I don’t know about our engineer, but I’ve never been happier & editing has been a much better experience without many of the past problems. We’ve also found the software options much more flexible for switching since we are able to reroute and add signals as needed without opening up a case or buying cards.

In your case I would worry about the long term feasibility of investing in all that hardware if there’s even a chance the manufacturer won’t be around in a few years. Software won’t break on you after you can no longer buy it. I’d like to see globalstreams provide new capabilities, but it wouldn’t help us much at this point. You just have to assume the pre-existing hardware will not be able to compete with the rate of software development and we found all that proprietary hardware to be a liability. I know it’s a tough decision, but that’s my user to user opinion. Others are free to disagree. No matter what you decide, you’ll definitely need the most bang for the buck. Good luck with it.

Dexter2999

Well, I don’t work at a station, or even a professioanl Viedo Post house. I work at a nightclub complex and we just got our second hand Trinity, complete with problems.
    We added a composite input card and added a couple TBC’s to convert composite to the requisite 2 YUV cards that came with it.
    Three input cards, that’s it.
    Only One DSK.
    One WARP card.
    No Time Machine.
    All three of our cards are connected to our 12-8 Matrix Router, which opens up the possibilities. Four camera feeds, three DVD feeds, graphics computer feed (for Powerpoint! it makes me retch), and one mandatory VTR.
    The Trinity is finally run through our 8 input FORA switcher. For live stuff this working quite well.
    But these other posts talk about editing and post, I am all about software on that issue. I help put together our content area. One machine for VideoToaster NT (first incarnation) for Graphics. Matrox DigisuiteMAX for editing and DVD authoring. Mac (sigh, audio people) for our Pro Tools LE set up. All are networked so all content is drag and drop.
    Just have to run the line to the other end of the complex for the Graphics computer to patch in. We’ll use media player and stream it into the Trinity so we create graphics or even stuff for the Key channel.

mdabbs

As promised, here’s a link to a compiled list of changes since Trinity 2.4. Incidentally, this was posted on the site on 12/13/02. Granted it is a few levels deep but it is accessible through the Trinity Upgrade pages. Have you seen those? They give a lot of details as well on what the upgrade includes.

http://www.globalstreams.com/products/upgrade/

http://www.globalstreams.com/support/globecaster/downloads/upgrade_release_notes.php

But we would also like to have our sales staff speak to you. We want to embrace all Trinity users, encouraging them to upgrade to GC. If you have the opportunity and are willing to talk to our sales staff, please send your name and contact info to sales@globalstreams.com.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay Up to Date on News and Upgrades

Whether one of the first or one of the newest in the GlobeCaster family, we will drop you a line from time to time.