Home Forums Troubleshooting Video Flaring in Trinity

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Doug Suttle 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

rschipull

When digitizing video into the Trinity, I am experience video flaring (white dropouts) I have changed cables, decks, and tapes and it seems to be a hardware problem. The boards have been cleaned of dust. This is beginnning to be a big problem and virtually all of our digitized video is near unusable. The flaring appears when the IRE is high. Does anyone have any clue on what this might be, other than the cables, decks, connections, dust, or tapes. Could this be a software problem within the Trinity? I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks

Are you digitizing from the switcher, timeline or batch?
    If from the switcher make sure the keyer is off.

rschipull

i am digitizing from the switcher, i have made sure all keyers were off. anything else, thanks

petes

Is it a white flare that fades off to the right of high contrast transitions? If so one name for it is bearding; caused by a deck not correctly handing high detail signals. I had a problem show up using component decks when I switched to a newer camera with much better detail. If reducing the detail in your camera (IRE the same) fixes it, that’s probably your problem. (The fix was to have the FM modulators realigned in the PB decks.)

You could have a hardware problem, I haven’t seen bearding be a problem with the Trinity, but try reducing the bandwidth setting on the input card to see if that changes the result. Also check your source straight to a monitor very carefully, since I have seen the problem be only marginal on tape but be exaggerated during the editing process.

Dupree Jones

What kind of playback deck? Digital? Analog? Is it intermitant or constant. Mainly “red” in the shot? Overall high video or chroma level? This could be several things. Lot’s of info on this stuff on the old site. To bad you can’t see it.

Not trying to be an asshole (too late?), but the more specific you can be, the easier it is to narrow down the problem.

rschipull

The Playback is digital. Becoming a constant problem. Happens mostly with whites and light colors, especially where is a high contrast. Video levels are shot fine, we only see it when digitizing into trinity. We’ve posted on the board before, and tried the suggestions. But the problem seems to be getting worse. Does anyone have any ideas. I do appreciate anything. Thanks

Dupree Jones

I think I remember your posts over there. We talked about it maybe being a digital oddity but if it’s getting progressively worse, I’d have to say, you’ve almost definately got a hardware problem. Have you tried digitizing through preditor? Same results? Have you tried digitizing analog footage and can you do so sucessfully?

Do you have the video terminator for the TM card installed? If not, email me, I have one laying around you can have.

And the biggest question…..Have you contacted GS tech support and what’s their response?

Mrstoney

I know someone that has the same problem with a Media 100 system everytime he trys to digitize thru their SDI port. Anything over 80 IRE is just blown out. They have to use their component input instead. Have you tried a different deck or source. What about digitizing straight from you camera (depending on the inputs that you have)? If you can you may want to try a different source to help trouble shoot a hardware or deck problem. Good luck.

mdabbs

Also, can you try routing the video in the a different input card? Can you tell if its in the recording or playback process? Try dragging a clip into Panamation and see if it looks the same. If that looks fine, then its recording ok, just playing back wrong.

I’ve seen several weird issues like this resolved by reseating the video router. That’s the one that lays flat against the motherboard right behind the input cards.

mdabbs

Also, give me some keywords that you might have used and I’ll search the old content to see if I can find the older posts.

Casey

I had that problem when digitizing from a deck that has a SDI output.

The solution was to drop the video level on the deck(with the TBC).

It seems the trinity does not like items that have high video levels.

Also you might have your camera people shoot things less hot, that way you don’t have to suffer in post. Good luck!

Yasser Issa

I have suffered this a long period. It is either the Hard drives, or the cables. One temporary solution was that I used to change the slot that the TM was in and foloow this with adjusting the input card to follow in line.

I hope this works fine with you.

Doug Suttle

Thanx everyone for their tech. support. Im a friend of Rschipull and fellow trinity editor on the same machine. We have tried some of the suggestions but we lost our host PC all together. Our Trinity has been down for over 2 months and have not been able to try all thats been suggested. We are now exeperiencing a Videonet card problem and it seems are system will remain down alittle longer. One again thanx all for responding and sorry for not replying sooner.

Doug Suttle

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stay Up to Date on News and Upgrades

Whether one of the first or one of the newest in the GlobeCaster family, we will drop you a line from time to time.